[Exim] deferrals in ACLs returning a possibly misleading gen…

Author: Josip Rodin
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] deferrals in ACLs returning a possibly misleading generic explanation in a 451
Hi,

How can one can tell exim4 ACLs to return a useful message in the SMTP
dialogue when the test returns a defer? I can't find anything in the docs,
they say that when there's a deferral, the "message" modifier is explicitely
avoided. I'm wary of trying smtp_return_error_details, as that might not
work either (deferrals aren't errors), and I'm worried that it'll be too
generic and perhaps give away unwanted information elsewhere.

I'm asking because when my Exim tries and temporarily fails to verify a
header sender, people get

451 Temporary local problem - please try later

which is, well, not good, because people have already complained to me how
_my_ mail server is broken, whereas it is theirs that can't be contacted...

Please Cc: responses. Thanks in advance.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.