Re: [Exim] Reading the nameserver info from remote host

Author: Pat Lashley
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Reading the nameserver info from remote host

The problem with this is that spammers bounce their messages through
open relays; and increasingly through virus-infected Windows machines
on dial-up/cable/DSL connections. In those cases the nameserver(s)
will be those of the victims, not the perpetrators. And in many cases,
they will be the same nameservers that are used by the legitimate mail
servers for the victims' domains.

The spammer's registered domains will usually occur in a HTTP link
in the body of the message, where it is already available to the
spam filters. It might help the filters if they could know the NS
of domains appearing in the body; but extracting that info is beyond
the scope of the MTA. (Aside from MIME and HTML parsing, you'd need
to handle all of the obfuscation techniques used by the spammers.
Some spam filters do some or all of that already; so they are probably
the right place to add a DNS NS lookup.)

-Pat