RE: [Exim] Exim in front of Exchange200

Author: Mark Boyd
To: Ferguson, Michael, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Exim in front of Exchange200
Now why would anyone want to go and front-end Exchange with a real MTA,
sounds just plain silly to me. :)

I've actually done this and I have to say it's working quite well,
especially the SPAM scanning and the virus scanning. Rather than boring
the list with the details here is an overview of what I'm running:

Debian Linux (woody)
exim 4.20
sa-exim patch for exim
spamassassin 2.43
exiscan patch for exim
clamav 0.60
custom LDAP scripts

I use sa-exim and Spamassassin to attempt to identify incoming SPAM, I
don't teergrub or deny mail since this is for a company, but I do flag
the incoming SPAM so the users can decide what to do with it.

I use exiscan and clamav to scan all incoming e-mails for malware.
Since I don't want any part of these I will deny these entry into
internal e-mail system.

My custom LDAP scripts are used to read & parse the LDAP e-mail
addresses from the Microsoft Active Directory at set times during the
day. This way I always have a fairly up-to-date list of "real" users on
my exim box and can reject all mail not destined for someone "real".

Send me a message off-line if you have more questions, or would like
some additional details.

- Mark