[Exim] Re: bare linefeeds in SMTP

Author: Vineet Kumar
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: bare linefeeds in SMTP
* Kjetil Torgrim Homme (kjetilho@???) [031217 14:04]:
> [...] let's "force" people to follow
> the standards. the good guys generally do, it's the quick "let's write
> a visual basic program to spam millions of people" who get it wrong.

This doesn't work. Trying to "force" people to follow a standard by
breaking the golden rule of interoperability generally results in nobody
using your product, since it appears broken to real-world users. Users
shouldn't need to have read, or even be aware of the existence of, the
spec. Software authors do. And realistically (however unfortunately),
users (or, more accurately, decision-makers and policy-makers) don't
choose software based solely on standards compliance.

I'd be fine with exim having options to support this sort of strict
compliance at the expense of interoperability, as long as the defaults
are sane (liberal for the sake of interoperability).

Perhaps this can be an extension of verify = header_syntax. Maybe
someone here can even figure out a way to do it with the existing acl
infrastructure.

good times,
Vineet
--