Re: [Exim] Long lines in message body

Author: Peter Rindfuss
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Long lines in message body

> > I would like to restrict the length of lines in the body of an
> > incoming message. We have an email client that chokes on long lines,
> > and sometimes we receive messages (usually spam) with lines with
> > several thousand chars in length (usually HTML). Is there a way to do
> > this in an ACL?
>
> No. Unless you use ${run and read the spool file directly.

In the meantime, I found a solution myself. I have Exiscan installed;
so I can use in the DATA ACL:

deny  message   = line too long
      regex     = ^.{1000,}

> > BTW, shouldn't Exim always do something against such long lines?
> > RFCs 821, 2821 and 2822 state that lines in messages *must* not be
> > longer than 1000 characters, including crlf.
>
> (a) Exim is liberal in what it accepts.
> (b) It certainly should not mess with message content.
>
> Remember that MUST in an RFC means "must if you want to be sure of
> interworking with most of the Internet". It does not, and cannot, mean
> "must be rejected if not observed" because there's no way of enforcing
> that.

Accepted.

Thanks, Peter

---
Peter Rindfuss
Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin fuer Sozialforschung
(Social Science Research Center Berlin, Germany)
email: rindfuss@???
phone: +49-30-25491-566 fax: +49-30-25491-558