Re: [Exim] callbacks and <>

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] callbacks and <>
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Andre van der Walt wrote:

> All good and well but what do you tell a company like BMW South Africa
> (bmw.co.za) to change their mind??

It's really not my place to change their minds for them! I only
remarked that if they decided to change their minds, then their mail
would pass unhindered. (Well, actually they're not in our callback
list at the moment, so this wouldn't happen. But we're discussing
the principle).

We compose a reasonably polite message in the rejection report,
telling the sender (whoever they might be) that the sender
verification has failed, and supplying them with the postmaster
address where they are welcome to discuss any problems.

Of course, it's the responsibility of -their- software to present
this information to the would-be sender, but I can't be held
responsible for any mistakes it makes on that side.

It seems a reasonable compromise to me. Considering the current
statistics (and it's getting even worse - soon the productive mail
will be an almost invisible slice of the total mail traffic) it's
pretty clear to me that even stronger measures will be needed in the
very near future, if we're not all to be buried in spam.

cheers