[Exim] Problems with transition from exim 3.33 to exim 4.24

Author: Jaco van der Schyff
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Problems with transition from exim 3.33 to exim 4.24
After many weeks of pondering, I finally made the transition to exim
4.24 (outdated already - yes I know). My main reason for switching
was the ACL features of exim 4 and the exiscan patch available for
it.

So the weekend I made the switch and everything seems to be running
fine, except for one issue. Some messages are frozen for some
reason that is not clear to me, hence my post. The following entry
is printed in the msglog:

2003-12-08 10:32:39 Received from x.xxxx@??? H=(xx)
[xxx.xxx.xx.xx] P=smtp S=3887 id=001a01c3bd65$e4f20a40$0f3ba8c0@xxxx
2003-12-08 10:32:40 xxx@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer
(-1): smtp transport process
returned non-zero status 0x0100: exit code 1
*** Frozen

My remote_smtp transport in configure looks like this:

remote_smtp:
driver = smtp
user = exim

Unfortunately this happens to a lot of messages, so it is obviously
a problem.

Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

- Jaco van der Schyff