Re: [Exim] Cannot start Exim

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: William B Hacker III
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Cannot start Exim
On (2003/11/27 05:32), William B Hacker III wrote:

> FreeBSD 4.9 RELEASE on Intel PIII 1GHZ 1 GB RAM, 2 X 60 MB as ID RAID1
>
> Exim 4.24_2 from the FreeBSD ports tree.

[...]

> *BUT* - attempting to execute "/etc/rc.d/exim.sh start" returns:
> P?
>   .
>    ??..: not found
> set_rcvar: not found

Something weird has happened. :-(

The startup script (exim.sh) is supposed to be installed into
/usr/local/etc/rc.d on a RELENG_4 box. You said you're running FreeBSD
4.9 RELEASE, which was cut from the RELENG_4 branch.

In this case, the script is installed into /usr/local/etc/rc.d and the
ports/mail/exim port depends on ports/sysutils/rc_subr, which should be
installed automatically.

It's only on -CURRENT (currently 5.2-BETA) on which the script is
supposed to be installed into /etc/rc.d. In this case, there's no
dependency on ports/sysutils/rc_subr, because the rc_subr functionality
is included in the base system.

The port decides which configuration to use based on the value of the
make variable OSVERSION, which is determined with this command:

    sysctl -n kern.osreldate

What does that command give you on your box? If it's a number less than
500038, please show me the output of this command:

    ls /var/db/pkg | grep rc_subr
    grep exim /var/db/pkg/rc_subr-*/+REQUIRED_BY

Ciao,
Sheldon.