Re: [Exim] Can't Start Exim

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Can't Start Exim
Kirill Miazine wrote:

> Cc
> Bcc:
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Cannot start Exim
>
> * Bill Hacker [2003-11-27 06:40]:
>
>>Sorry - didn't realize the list was mis-configured ,and replied to the
>>poster vs the list:
>

> Huh? I did not get any reply from you yet.

New to this lsit, I had hit "reply" before realizing the Exim MLM wasn't
configured to put the list RA into the headers, so sent off my initial
response to what *was* in the "From:" header, km-lists@???.

Dunnno if that address would accept & deliver the message.... <G>

>>>/etc/rc.d/exim.sh
>>>
>>>Look at /etc/rc.d/exim.sh. And let us look at it too.
>>
>>Unaltered from the BSD port:
>>=============================================================================
>>
>>#!/bin/sh
>>#
>># $FreeBSD: ports/mail/exim/files/exim.sh,v 1.6 2003/09/10 13:49:09
>>sheldonh Exp $
>>#
>>
>># PROVIDE: mail
>># REQUIRE: LOGIN
>># KEYWORD: FreeBSD shutdown
>>#       we make mail start late, so that things like .forward's are not
>>#       processed until the system is fully operational

>>#
>># Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf to enable exim:
>>#
>>#exim_enable="YES"

Done, BTW, but only effective at quarterly reboots...

>>#
>># See exim(8) for flags
>>#
>>
>>. /usr/local/etc/rc.subr
>

> Should not the above be just /etc/rc.subr?

Could be either, (or elsewhere) so long as the file or directory
*exists*. Which it does not - in either place.

That's a lead, though.... seesm to me the BSD port is broken. IIRC it
said* it was creating a stub mailer.cf file as it couldn't find one...
but did not in fact do so...

I run the install as root, but some folks write Makefiles to su down to
their daemon runner when installing files, rather than installing them
as root and chowning them later...

Will have a go at building from the source tarball instead of the port.

And FWIW department: (At least in re the FreeBSD port...)

If the box was built w/o sendmail, it seems one needs to install
sendmail (then deactivate, but not remove it) *before installing exim*,
just to create directory structures and files Exim will use or supplant.

Thanks,

Bill Hacker