Re: [Exim] HELO & multiple domains

Author: jzaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] HELO & multiple domains
On Sunday, Nov 23, 2003, at 16:54 Europe/London, David Harris wrote:

> I run several domains from one box.

<snip>
> I send
> from one of my other domains, e.g. wibble.com the helo data is 'helo
> foo.bar.com' not 'foo.wibble.com' .

<snip>

> one of my professional
> domains looked at my headers has commented on the content of other
> domains as
> being unprofessional.

i think i have the same setup as you

i run 5 virtual mail domains on the one box
and 5 virtual web servers too

the trick for me was to make the fqdn the same as the default
webserver pages served

so when someone rx a bar.co.uk email from me and look in the headers
they see that its come from box wibble.co.uk
if they do a dns look up on bar.co.uk they get x.x.x.x
if they do a dns look up on wibble.co.uk they get x.x.x.x
an rdns on x.x.x.x gives them dsl-217-155-x-x.zen.co.uk

ideally dns == rdns but we don get that on zen adsl :-(

http://bar.co.uk gives them one set of pages
however
http://wibble.co.uk gives them a wholly different set of pages
(remember the virutal webserver thing)

now importantly - http://x.x.x.x gives the EXACTLY THE SAME as
http://wibble.co.uk
also importantly - http://dsl-217-155-x-x.zen.co.uk also gives EXACTLY
THE SAME as http://wibble.co.uk

and if http://wibble.co.uk looks professional ... your customer will be
happy that they arent working with a shoddy crowd

if im right theres no real way for them to find out the other 3 virtual
domains i run here

is this similar to your setup?

from what i can see in apache2 httpd.conf (and pls correct me if im
wrong) if you have a list of virtual servers set up
the first one in the list is the default one thats served if just the
numeric ip is used in http://x.x.x.x

just make sure the webpages you want ppl to see are the default domain
pages served
any other domains pages must be addressed correctly and directly

hope this helps
and hope its not been too far off exim topic (it is after all probably
more about apache)

Zaw