Re[2]: [Exim] Temporarily rejected RCPT with no apparent rea…

Author: Marilyn Davis
To: exim-users
Subject: Re[2]: [Exim] Temporarily rejected RCPT with no apparent reason (fwd)
Thank you Richard,

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Richard Welty wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:54:28 -0800 (PST) Marilyn Davis <marilyn@???> wrote:
>
> > It was suggested in private mail that it could be the dns. But it
> > can't be in our case because our dns is handled by our isp. Right?
>
> um, no.
>
> for performance email applications, it's generally a really really really
> good idea to do caching DNS locally to the mail servers (either on the
> same server or on a server with excellent, uncongested connectivity
> to the mail servers.)

OK. I can run a cache.

> your ISPs DNS isn't necessarily reliably accessible.
>
> the errors in your logs could very well be explained by flaky DNS.

Is it the sender verify step that fails ungracefully if it can't find
the Pacbell DNS? The message already found my machine.

> > In yesterday's logs, all the temporarily rejected RCPT entries also
> > say "Could not complete sender verify" and they have the associated
> > "unexpected disconnection".
>
> probably after receiving the 4xx code, the remote mailer is cutting off
> the connection in a less than graceful manner.

Yes. I understand that this is to be expected with spam mail. And
when I do see "Could not complete sender verify" and "unexpected
disconnection", it indeed looks like a spam address.

While my machine was having its episode, I was not getting either the
"Could not complete sender verify" or the "unexpected disconnection"
in the log for attempts to deliver mail from my best friends and
customers. Only the "Temporarily rejected RCPT" appears in the log.

So this is what happens when exim can't reach Pacbell to verify the
sender? Is that what we're thinking?

Marilyn