Re[2]: [Exim] Temporarily rejected RCPT with no apparent rea…

Author: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Subject: Re[2]: [Exim] Temporarily rejected RCPT with no apparent reason (fwd)
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:54:28 -0800 (PST) Marilyn Davis <marilyn@???> wrote:

> It was suggested in private mail that it could be the dns. But it
> can't be in our case because our dns is handled by our isp. Right?

um, no.

for performance email applications, it's generally a really really really
good idea to do caching DNS locally to the mail servers (either on the
same server or on a server with excellent, uncongested connectivity
to the mail servers.)

your ISPs DNS isn't necessarily reliably accessible.

the errors in your logs could very well be explained by flaky DNS.

> In yesterday's logs, all the temporarily rejected RCPT entries also
> say "Could not complete sender verify" and they have the associated
> "unexpected disconnection".

probably after receiving the 4xx code, the remote mailer is cutting off
the connection in a less than graceful manner.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@???