Re: [Exim] exim -bpc and exiqsumm differs on queue

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim -bpc and exiqsumm differs on queue
On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:33:11AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Johann Spies wrote:
>
> > While exim -bpc shows:
> >
> > 3557
> >
> > One line in the output of mailq | exiqsumm shows:
> >
> > 4269    34MB     24h      1m  ma2.sun.ac.za

> > How do I reconcile those two?
>
> By deeper investigation. I don't expect anyone on this list can help
> without further information. Was there a timing effect here? Seems
> unlikely, but I note that at least one message has arrived within the
> last minute, so maybe a whole pile did, after you ran -bpc?

No they were within a few seconds of each other.

> But otherwise, you need to do more testing. For example:
>
> . Run -bpc and -bp in quick succession, saving the output. Check whether
> they agree sufficiently. (By "sufficiently" I mean taking into account
> the fact that messages are arriving and departing all the time.)
> If not, let me know or post more info.

They did not differ much. Seems OK.

> . Run exiqsumm on the saved output from -bp and see if it agrees. If
> not, see if you can find the bug in exiqsumm and post it. If not, send
> me the -bp output and I'll take a look.

I got the same result: there were many more deliveries to be made to
ma2.sun.ac.za that were in the queue. (We have a problem with mail
delivery at that machine at the moment.)

I think Ollie Cook's answer explains this difference.

Thanks. Your questions helped me to build better diagnostic skills.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "A new commandment I give unto you; That ye love one
      another. As I have loved you, so ye also must love one
      another.  By this shall all men know that ye are my
      disciples, if ye have love one to another."
                         John 13:34,35