Re: [Exim] ACL - warn - log_message behaviour

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Randy Banks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] ACL - warn - log_message behaviour
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Randy Banks wrote:

> We've just moved from 4.22 to 4.24 and note that between times Philip changed
> the effect log_message when used with warn. Prior to 4.23 a message was added to
> the reject log, now one is added (only) to the main log file.

The ChangeLog entry says:

32. log_message in a "warn" ACL statement was writing to the reject log as
    well as to the main log, which contradicts the documentation and doesn't
    seem right (because no rejection is happening). So I have stopped it.

I still think this was the right change.

> Is there any way of forcing the original behaviour, in particular, to drop all
> the header lines out when, for example, a warn/log_message succeeds in the
> acl_smtp_data section?

In the next release there is a new ACL modifier called "logwrite" which
writes a log line as soon as it is encountered (i.e. it doesn't wait to
see if rejection is about to happen). It has a feature that allows you
to control which log (main, reject, panic) it writes to. I think you
should be able to make it do what you want.