[Exim] secondary MX in a world of spammers

Author: Jeff Lasman
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] secondary MX in a world of spammers
This is a philosophical question, I suppose, rather than a how-to
question...

Several of our clients have inquired as to our plans to offer secondary
mx.

I've been "almost ready" to offer it for several months, but I keep
getting caught up in the issue of handling nonexistent addresses, not
blocking spam, etc.

I'm a traditionalist, so if we offer it, we'll offer it as strictly
store and forward, and won't attempt to store local lists of users,
spam-preferences, etc.

And what I'm thinking is that if we offer it as a strictly store and
forward service, we end up with way too much spam on our servers and we
do clients a disservice because they can't bounce spam on "rctp to".

And then I consider that secondary MX is an emergency-response service
and most of us would accept the unblocking of our email to get it at
all.

What do you think? (If you think this is offtopic for exim-users, I
apologize, but personally I think the best place to discuss this is a
list for mailserver admins, as it impacts running mailservers; if you
do think it offtopic and can suggest a better list for it, please do.)
You may reply offlist, as I am filtering out on the subject matter so
I'll read replies in a timely manner. I'll be happy to post a summary
later if some useful response develops.

Thanks.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA 92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation