Re: [Exim] 'control = freeze' and 'freeze_tell = postmaster'

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Thomas Fini Hansen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 'control = freeze' and 'freeze_tell = postmaster'
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Thomas Fini Hansen wrote:

> I want to use 'control = freeze' in an ACL, and I want mail when it
> happens. But with 'freeze_tell = postmaster' all I get is a message
> telling me that it was frozen by the ACL, without any indication as to
> why.
>
> Secondly, the spec says about freeze_tell: 'The reason(s) for freezing
> can be found in the message log.'. Well, I've fiddled with message and
> log_message, and I don't see any of them in the message log. Warnings
> does show up in the mainlog.

This is an effect of the documentation not keeping up with the code.
That paragraph was written before "control=freeze" existed. It applies
to automatic freezing that Exim does in certain "stuck" circumstances.
(As the code has developed, the number of such circumstances has been
reduced.)

There probably should be a way of logging something from an ACL that
accepts, but freezes. I'm not sure that there is at present; I have made
a note to investigate this circumstance when time permits.

(Regular readers will note that I am under more time pressure than usual
at the moment, as a consequence of several weeks of "diversions" in
October. As I am going to be in Australia for most of January, I want to
catch up on the minor minor bugs etc. and put out a new, fully
documented release, (well) before I go. So a lot of stuff is being
stacked for later - and that may turn out to be February or March, I'm
afraid.)