[Exim] SSL-specific daemon doesn't deliver locally -- setgid…

Author: Simon Vallet
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] SSL-specific daemon doesn't deliver locally -- setgid fails
Hi,

I have a 4.24 exim server running on a Debian box. It listens on port
25 and runs fine. However, when I try to add a second daemon, listening
on port 465 (SSMTP), it seems the two don't cooperate very well...
Here is what I get in the SSL-listening daemon logs:
unable to set gid=8 or uid=1000 (euid=8): local delivery to xxx
(xxx@???)
failed to read delivery status for xxx@??? from delivery
subprocess
appendfile transport process returned non-zero status 0x0100: exit code
1

The command-line options used are:
-bd
-oX 465
-oP /var/run/exim/exim-ssl.pid
-tls-on-connect
-C /etc/exim/exim-ssl.conf
the binary is setuid root , and compilation options make it run as the
'maill' user.

I tried to add the alternative config file to CONFIGURE_FILE, but it
didn't seem to help...

If I understood the way exim is delivering, it actually invokes itself
to deliver messages locally : could it be that somehow it gets
confused by the first server running ?

Thanks for any pointer,
Simon

--