Re: [Exim] failing address lookup

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] failing address lookup
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Phil Chambers wrote:

> I don't understand two things. First I can't see why exim is failing to find the IP
> address for cyrus1.

Use -d to find out why.

> Second, why is the message frozen and not just deferred and
> re-tried later?

The manualroute router thinks it is a really serious error if it can't
find the IP of a host to which you have explicitly routed a domain. It
freezes the message to make you aware of what appears to be a
critical configuration error.

> This is going to be a serious issue if I need to keep checking for
> this type of frozen message. If I get eximon to deliver the message
> it goes through OK.
>
> Any suggestions please?

Domains that "come and go" are often caused by multiple nameservers that
are not in step with each other. Double check your nameservers for
cyrus1.