RE: [Exim] OT Verizon.net

Author: Simon Beale
To: Stephen Gran, Kevin Reed, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] OT Verizon.net
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:50:00PM -0700, Kevin Reed said:
> > Is anyone else having problems with Verizon.net? We have a
> number of mail
> > servers that have a vareity of domains that use verizon.net as
> their mail
> > servers.
> >
> > For days now, all of them have been getting the following message when
> > attempting to connect...
> >
> > 450 Requested mail action not taken-Try later:sc009.verizon.net
> >
> > I've now tried from more than 10 different mail servers on different
> > networks with a variety of mail servers with the same results.
> One worked
> > fine, but then didn't work the next time I tried.
> >
> > I've attempted to contact their postmaster's account (same result) and
> > some other IP related accounts but have never gotten a response even
> > though those went through.
> >
> > Are they blocking mail or just having a big problem?
> >
> > bellatlantic.net
> > gte.net
> >
> > verizon.net.            28039   IN      MX       relay.verizon.net.
> > relay.verizon.net.      573     IN      A       206.46.170.12

> Yes - it looks like they're doing some kind of sender verify, but they
> send data without waiting for the helo reply, so exim rejects that. :(
>
> Today, a few messages went through, and then it stopped again. I've
> tried writing their postmaster, but had the same result - I guess they
> don't exempt postmaster from the checks. If this continues, I'll send
> an email through a smarthost to them - maybe that'll work.

One of my colleagues also spotted this problem yesterday, but managed to get
email through to verizon.net eventually. His explanation was:

"it seems that verizon connect to us
(presumably to try and verify the usename in some way), we then try and
make an ident call back to them, but that times out and i think it all
drops from there...

We had the ident timeout set to 30s I'm dropping that to 5 to see if its
verizon also having a 30 sec timeout 8-)

Ahhh verizon now comes back with a '250 Sender
<xxx.xxx@???> OK' eventually."

Hope that helps.

Simon