Re: [Exim] AUTH LOGIN PLAIN and old e-mail clients

Author: Phil Brutsche
To: Robert Heron
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] AUTH LOGIN PLAIN and old e-mail clients
Robert Heron wrote:
> 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
>
> which differs from mine at the line: 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN which is an
> additional one.
> Maybe the old client programs pay attention to this line and authenticate
> only when received such line in answer to their EHLO command?

Right on the money.

I have an old patch (from the 3.3x days) that adds AUTH=LOGIN to the
EHLO response in order to support SMTP AUTH for ancient broken clients.
It will need to be updated for Exim 4.2x, of course. You should be
able to find it in the list archives; if not, I *think* (no guarantees)
I still have it laying around someplace. It's been a while since I've
had to support OE 4, and it may have gotten lost in an accidental "rm
-rf" or two since I switched to Exim 4.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil@???