Re: [Exim] Auto CC field

Author: Jeff Lasman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Auto CC field
On Monday 20 October 2003 07:29, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> Traditionally, this is a function of your MUA (email client), not the
> MTA (Exim).

Not really. In many countries, and in certain industries in the U.S.
(where I'm located), there are requirements that all emails be kept.

You can't rely on your user to do that; the user may have reason to not
want emails kept. So you have to do it on the MTA or by running
software that answers on port 25 and adds the field before passing the
email on to the MTA.

Even that can be gotten around, by simply using another MTA.

So perhaps the best way to do it is by using a routing rule to make sure
that all port 25 traffic goes out through your email server.

Of course that can be gotten around as well, but not by most users with
most MUAs.

And at least then, you could if necessary prove in court that you took
all possible precautions.

Well maybe not all... but I hope you can see what I mean.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA 92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation