Re: [Exim] authentication failure consequences

Author: Andreas J Mueller
To: j.linn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] authentication failure consequences
Hi John!

> What I want to stop, or make harder, is password cracking using brute
> force. In my limited experience of SMTP AUTH, it either works as the
> userid/password is the same as that for IMAP/POP or fails. Perhaps a count
> could be added to the AUTH drivers to limit the number of retries and once
> exceeded the call is dropped.

Since at least version 4.20 Exim has an ACL for the AUTH command. In
order to drop a connection when a second AUTH is attempted, you could
use one as simple as this:

acl_smtp_auth = acl_check_auth
acl_check_auth:
        drop    condition  = $acl_m0
        accept  set acl_m0 = yes

Please be aware that some MUAs send two AUTH commands: one before, and
one after they have initiated a TLS session. But this is beyond the
scope of your original question. ;-)

Andy