Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Too much of a good thing - exim li…

Author: Ollie Cook
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Too much of a good thing - exim list reruns
On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:38:20AM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> [*] If the msglog canot be written the record of which addresses have
> been delivered to can be lost, which means that on the next queue run
> previously delivered addresses are tried again...

Hi Nigel,

A minor correction, if I may, even if it doesn't affect the end result if the
spool partition fills up. The documentation suggests the delivery information
is written to the -J, journal, spool files:

    | All the information Exim itself needs to set up a delivery is kept in the

| first spool file with the headers. When a successful delivery occurs, the
| address is immediately written at the end of a journal file, whose name is
| the message id followed by -J. At the end of a delivery run, if there are
| some addresses left to be tried again later, the first spool file
| (the -H file) is updated to indicate which these are, and the journal file
| is then deleted. Updating the spool file is done by writing a new file and
| renaming it, to minimize the possibility of data loss.

The msglog just contains a copy of mainlog lines for that particular message
only, as I understand it, and the data therein isn't used by Exim
operationally. That's why it's safe to disable using msglog to improve
performance by reducing disk activity.

Ollie

--
Oliver Cook    Systems Administrator, Claranet UK
ollie@???                  020 7903 3065