RE: [Exim] :fail: from a router

Author: Lane Vance
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] :fail: from a router
>> In a router, is the message after :fail: only for logging purposes? If
so,
>> the cannot_route_message should do the trick, right?
>
>In a router, the cannot_route_message is used whenever the router can't
>route the message and it is the last router in the chain. And if
>unspecified it takes the default which is something like 'Cannot route
>address'. The last value of cannot_route_message is used in the return
>message. So if you set that key to a value in the first router, and the
>last one can't route it, the value set in the first router will be
>shown.

Right, but the docs
(<http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.20/doc/html/spec_14.html>) say this can
also be used on routers with more set to false. I added no_more to the
router with no change in the expected error. The default of "Unrouteable
address" isn't even being passed - rather the error is "unknown user"
which I have not defined in my routers. If it were passing the default
error or the error I specified in the last router I could understand and
maybe see where my mistake is.

>> Anyone else using user defined white and blacklists?
>> If so, how are you implementing them?
>
>Shouldn't your blacklist be implemented in the RCPT TO-acl ?
>It seems like a nicer place and saves you the bounces in your mailq.

The ACLs can only apply once to an entire message, right? Thus you can't
have blacklists and whitelists for each individual POP user setup in the
ACLs unless you restrict deliveries to only one address at a time - which
with deferrals you would have some deliveries delayed and with multiple
connections being made using more resources on your server. I learned
this the hard way while trying to implement virus and spam scanning with
options set by users in the ACLs. I was very fortunate to have the kind
souls on this list point me in the right direction. :-)

This has been a big debate with myself regarding whether I should apply
global scanning settings or let my users decide their own settings.
Personally, I would rather set global scanning settings to keep the junk
from entering my mail server but I think letting individual prefs be set
for each POP user is better for business.

While researching all this has helped me understand Exim a lot better
sometimes I feel the water is getting a little bit muddier.

-Lane