[Exim] relaying only for authenticated users

Author: Rob Ristroph
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] relaying only for authenticated users
Hi,

        I am using exim 4.22 on Debian testing.  I have outgoing and
        incoming mail set up, with some virtual domains.

        I would like to allow remote users, from anywhere on the
        internet, to send their outgoing mail through my server, but
        only if they can authenticate themselves in some way.  I don't
        have many users who will be doing this, so managing a single
        file with htpasswd or simply usernames and plaintext passwords
        is fine.

        Is there an example config file I can work from ?

        Let me give some background on what I've tried so far:

        -- I noticed the authenticators section in the configuration
           that came with debian, and so I make a
           "*:username:cryptedpass" entry in
           /etc/exim4/passwd.clients, but in testing exim refused to
           relay from outside my network and when I type something
           like "AUTH PLAIN" into a test smtp session ( started using
           the command "exim4 -d -bh 1.2.3.4" ) it says "503 AUTH
           command used when not advertised"

        -- If I try to send without using the AUTH, it says relay not
           allowed

        -- I set "domainlist relay_to_domains = *" and then tested
           myself by telneting to relay-test.mail-abuse.org,
           discovered I appeared to be openly relaying, and hastily
           backed that out.  But I want to relay to any domain, just
           only after the person connecting has authenticated in some
           way.

        I can post my config file if necessary, but what I'd really
        like is some link to a config file that is pretty close to
        what I want to do, and then I can work from it.  I have read
        the appropriate portions of the exim spec document, FAQ, and
        looked at the example configs referred to in the FAQ.  I also
        searched google, google groups, the mailing list, and tldp.org
        -- is what I am trying to do that unusual ?

--Rob