Re: [Exim] mailbox lock

Author: Tom Lazar
To: Asbjorn Hoiland Aarrestad
CC: exim-users, Suresh Ramasubramanian
Subject: Re: [Exim] mailbox lock
On 12.10.2003, at 10:42, Asbjorn Hoiland Aarrestad wrote:

>> Get rid of it and install cyrus or courier imap.
>
> which one is best? fastest and smallest use of memory?

i can recommend cyrus. but only if you're willing to accept a steep
learning curve. after that it's smooth sailing - i've never looked
back! the tricky bit (for me) has always been getting authentication
working (i uses sasldb)

other than performance and stability there are other key benefits:

a) only on system user (cyrus) needed: all mailusers exist only within
cyrus, so even a system with many, many users will still be manageable.
this also makes for easy backups: the entire /var/spool/imap folder is
owned by cyrus. so getting a backup working at a new (replacement)
machine doesn't mean adding all those users to the system again.

b) sieve! i don't know what to do without it, anymore. server-side
filtering of messages is a godsend ;-)

if you're using freebsd, you might want to check out the relevant
chapter in my cookbook[1]

hth,

tom

[1] http://tomster.org/geek/freebsdcookbook/ar01s03.html