Re: [Exim] Exim 4.20 + Outlook + Attachments

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Tim Jackson
Para: Exim Users List
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.20 + Outlook + Attachments
Hi Dougal, on Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:58:36 +1000 you wrote:

> I have done some Googling and discovered that MS-Outlook adds formatting
> commands to the e-mail as it leaves and if received by a non-Outlook
> client all attachments will show as "Winmail.dat"
> The question I have is what changed between RH 7.1 and RH 8.0 as this
> was working before???

First: It's normal (sigh) for Outlook to send those stupid winmail.dat
(TNEF) attachments when set to send rich text mails.

Since we're talking about upgrading an OS version of the server running
your MTA, which has nothing to do with attachment types etc., I don't see
how upgrading your server would have made any difference to this, unless
you had some very unusual software which converted stupid TNEF format
attachments to proper MIME on-the-fly, but I don't even know if such a
thing exists; it would be a non-trivial process.

Therefore, I think that one of the following has happened:

a) you never noticed before

b) one or more of your Outlook users changed their settings

Why MIME was not good enough for the morons at Microsoft and they instead
decided that they had to pollute the world with yet another pointless
non-standard format, who knows.

Tim