Re: [Exim] Exim and AV [OT]

Author: Walt Reed
To: Tim Jackson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and AV [OT]
On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:29:08AM +0100, Tim Jackson said:
> Hi Graham, on Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:52:48 +0200 you wrote:
> Haven't used it with that specific combination of OS/Exim version (but I
> don't think that's relevant), but had good experiences with Sophos (
> http://www.sophos.com/ ). Good detection including a tolerant inbuilt
> MIME engine, good support, friendly and knowledgeable people and has a
> free software memory-resident daemon (sophie) which Sophos are actually
> aware of (a bonus; although they don't support it, they will know what you
> are talking about if you're using it). New virus notifications by email if
> you want, and fast and easily-scriptable IDE updates. Oh, and reasonable
> pricing as commercial products go. All in all, you can't go far wrong.

Huh. I found their pricing rather high. I just priced out a 6 machine
license and it was $8000. Seems they charge 10X workstation price for
servers. Contrast this with Symantec (which does NOT have a linux
version) where pricing is about $50 / client no matter if the client is a
workstation or server. Since this is a for a non-profit, we decided not
to go with Sophos. I would have been much happier paying for one "server"
as the master and client pricing for all the other servers that slave to
it (kinda like the symantec corporate AV stuff does.) I guess it depends
on your definition of "reasonable pricing." I don't mind even a
reasonable bump for servers but 10x is nuts IMHO.