[Exim] percent_hack problems

Author: Mason, Chris, CND Tech Dev, VF UK
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] percent_hack problems
Hello,

I have a server on the Internet running Exim 3.36 under Debian.
I know Exim 3.x is now considered obsolete, but I have not had
the time to upgrade to Exim 4.x yet.

This box is used for mail for many different domains, however the
IP address of the box seems to be on the MAPS RSS list.

The reason I am on the RSS list is because I am failing 4 out of
the 30 tests as Exim is accepting percent_hack addresses even though
percent_hack_domains is not set.

I can set receiver_try_verify = true, which solves the percent_hack
problem, but creates another. I use aliases for my many domains,
so people can have mail@domain1, abuse@domain1 and friends@domain1
all directed towards fred@domain1 without the need for the various
different user accounts to exist. This breaks if I use
receiver_try_verify as the mail, abuse and friends accounts do not
exist locally.

Is there any way to get Exim to block (on input - not later) domains
that use the percent_hack thing? I tried to set percent_hack_domains = "",
but this does not stop them being accepted, but will no doubt bounce them
later.

I have included the failed tests below, but I am pretty sure they have
failed due to the percent_hack thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Kind Regards,
Chris

:Relay test: #test 8

<<< 250 <unavailable@???> is syntactically correct
>>> RCPT TO:<user2%zncfpngpure.org@???>

<<< 250 <user2%zncfpngpure.org@???> is syntactically correct
>>> DATA

<<< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
>>> (message body)

<<< 250 OK id=1A6vuJ-0001wd-00
/proj/maps/rss/bin/rly: relay accepted - final response code 250

:Relay test: #test 10
>>> MAIL FROM:<unavailable@???>

<<< 250 <unavailable@???> is syntactically correct
>>> RCPT TO:<user2%zncfpngpure.org@???>

<<< 250 <user2%zncfpngpure.org@???> is syntactically correct
>>> DATA

<<< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
>>> (message body)

<<< 250 OK id=1A6vuK-0001wd-00
/proj/maps/rss/bin/rly: relay accepted - final response code 250

:Relay test: #test 14

<<< 250 <"user2@???> is syntactically correct
>>> DATA

<<< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
>>> (message body)

<<< 250 OK id=1A6vuN-0001wd-00
/proj/maps/rss/bin/rly: relay accepted - final response code 250

:Relay test: #test 18

<<< 250 <zncfpngpure.org!user2@???> is syntactically correct
>>> DATA

<<< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
>>> (message body)

<<< 250 OK id=1A6vuP-0001wd-00
/proj/maps/rss/bin/rly: relay accepted - final response code 250