Re: [Exim] remote host address is the local host

Author: Asbjorn Hoiland Aarrestad
To: Kevin W. Reed
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] remote host address is the local host
>>Hi!
>>
>>I got some error, probably due to a mail client misconfiguraton, but it
>>would be nice to be able to handle the problem.
>>
>>I run exim 4 on a rh 7.3 box.
>>
>>I get the message "remote host address is the local host" in
>>"exim_errorlog":
>>2003-10-08 08:49:34 H=www.aarrestad.com (loft.aarrestad.com)
>>[192.168.0.20] sender verify defer for <[sender]@kjeller.aarrestad.com>:
>>remote host address is the local host
>>2003-10-08 08:49:34 H=www.aarrestad.com (loft.aarrestad.com)
>>[192.168.0.20] F=<[sender]@kjeller.aarrestad.com> temporarily rejected
>>RCPT <[recipient]@aarrestad.com>: Could not complete sender verify
>>
>>exim is located on "kjeller.aarrestad.com", and from the errormessage I
>>think I understand that exim is not happy verifying senders from another
>>computer to istelf.
>>
>>kjeller.aarrestad.com is added to "relay_to_domains", but this did not
>>help
>>

>For starters... part of your problem is that aarrestag.com is not a valid
>hostname.

I don't really understand what you mean. aarrestad.com is my domain, and
I get loads and load of mail to it every day.

>So for at least other mail servers [recipient]@aarrestad.com would be
>invalid.
>
>You say the box name is kjeller.aarrestad.com resolves to 81.29.33.68.
>
>That IP address resolves to: www.aarrestad.com

I have only one IP, and use my fw to distribute the ports to internal
machines.

>However, your mail server is answering with aarrestad.com and apparently
>attempting to send mail as user@??? but that hostname does not
>resolve to anything.

it usually does. I have no problem

>kjeller.aarrestad.com.  3600    IN      A       81.29.33.68
>68.33.29.81.in-addr.arpa. 259200 IN     PTR     www.aarrestad.com.
>www.aarrestad.com.      3600    IN      A       81.29.33.68

>Can't find aarrestad.com: No answer

I don't understand what you mean I've done wrong. can you please explain
a bit more?

- asbjørn