Re: [Exim] remote host address is the local host

Author: Kevin W. Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] remote host address is the local host
Asbjorn Hoiland Aarrestad said:
> Hi!
>
> I got some error, probably due to a mail client misconfiguraton, but it
> would be nice to be able to handle the problem.
>
> I run exim 4 on a rh 7.3 box.
>
> I get the message "remote host address is the local host" in
> "exim_errorlog":
> 2003-10-08 08:49:34 H=www.aarrestad.com (loft.aarrestad.com)
> [192.168.0.20] sender verify defer for <[sender]@kjeller.aarrestad.com>:
> remote host address is the local host
> 2003-10-08 08:49:34 H=www.aarrestad.com (loft.aarrestad.com)
> [192.168.0.20] F=<[sender]@kjeller.aarrestad.com> temporarily rejected
> RCPT <[recipient]@aarrestad.com>: Could not complete sender verify
>
> exim is located on "kjeller.aarrestad.com", and from the errormessage I
> think I understand that exim is not happy verifying senders from another
> computer to istelf.
>
> kjeller.aarrestad.com is added to "relay_to_domains", but this did not
> help

For starters... part of your problem is that aarrestag.com is not a valid
hostname.

So for at least other mail servers [recipient]@aarrestad.com would be
invalid.

You say the box name is kjeller.aarrestad.com resolves to 81.29.33.68.

That IP address resolves to: www.aarrestad.com

However, your mail server is answering with aarrestad.com and apparently
attempting to send mail as user@??? but that hostname does not
resolve to anything.

kjeller.aarrestad.com.  3600    IN      A       81.29.33.68
68.33.29.81.in-addr.arpa. 259200 IN     PTR     www.aarrestad.com.
www.aarrestad.com.      3600    IN      A       81.29.33.68

Can't find aarrestad.com: No answer

--