Re: [Exim] SPF

Author: Phil White
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SPF
On Monday 06 October 2003 18:32, Mark Foster wrote:
> --
> Since SPF has been brought up, I wonder if there are any early adopters
> on this list? I have been running the spf.acl for a couple of weeks now.
> It seems to be working fine, although it's the rare occurence that the
> spf check finds anything so early now. I'm interested to hear how other
> exim/spf users have faired and what tweaks you might have made to the
> acl, etc.

I will probably integrate the checking facility soon, as it costs me no more
than a little affort, and the reception check is a good way to assess
implementation uptake. I do enough reception verification as it is, so this
will be a minimal extra.

What I would REALLY like is for the rest of the world to agree on the intended
meaning of RFC2821 §4.1.4, but I'm _NOT_ going to start on that topic
again!!! ;-)

In the absence of agreement on the above, SPF may help. A combination of both
would be ideal. But, I am pessimistic - how many people can even get their
rDNS right?

On the other hand, it looks interesting. IF I can adapt it to cope with the
fact that I am sending this email from a dial-up (and on first glance it
seems I can), then it will take me 5 minutes to get our domain compliant. On
first glance, I like the idea, though, like any spam prevention tactic, it is
not a solution but a useful weapon in the armoury.