[Exim] SIZE param for callbacks?

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
New-Topics: RE: [Exim] SIZE param for callbacks? [I've gone OT]
Subject: [Exim] SIZE param for callbacks?
This 419 slipped past all our defences. None of the usual "nigerian" rules
in SpamAssassin fired.

However, it appears that had we presented an ESMTP SIZE parameter with the
callback, we could have known something was up:

220 mk-cpfrontend.uk.tiscali.com ESMTP Service (6.7.018) ready

EHLO bowling.cent.gla.ac.uk
250-mk-cpfrontend.uk.tiscali.com
250-DSN
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-HELP
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN
250-DELIVERBY 300
250 SIZE

MAIL FROM: <> SIZE=1000
250 MAIL FROM:<> OK

RCPT TO: <bekimulete@???>
552 RCPT TO:<bekimulete@???> Mailbox disk quota exceeded

No doubt the mailbox was full due the overwhelming number of replies from
people eager to take up the kind business proposal ;-)

As I understand it, part of the rationale of callbacks is to check a
sender address is valid, so if we have to send back a bounce for some
reason, we can do so OK. If instead it appears impossible to send a
bounce, then policy allows us to refuse to accept the mail in the first
place.

So it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to attempt to check we can send a
bounce of a plausible SIZE ?

Just a thought!

Chris

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service