[Exim] death to mailer-daemon!

Author: WJCarpenter
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] death to mailer-daemon!
Like a lot of people, I have a sendmail hold-over entry in
/etc/aliases for "mailer-daemon" (pointing to "postmaster"). There's
a stern warning that that alias has to be there, but I have my doubts
about that. I suspect it's just another sendmail artifact and isn't
actually needed at all. (Yeah, yeah, I know everybody has to have a
case-insensitive postmaster address that accepts messages. I'm
talking specifically about "mailer-daemon".)

I've always gotten a certain amount of spam addressed to
"mailer-daemon", and I've just recently decided that I don't really
like spam :-). I'd like to turn my "mailer-daemon" alias into a
"verify failed for..."

1. Does any part of Exim actually depend on there being a
"mailer-daemon" address? (I doubted it. It certainly doesn't appear
in my config file. OTOH, I did find this in the exim 3.36 binary I
built: "From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@%s>".)

2.  Does anyone know of any other harmful side-effects that might
surprise me if I get rid of that alias?  (I doubt that any piece of
software on my system generates email addressed to "mailer-daemon",
but the modern world holds many surprises.)
--
bill@??? (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119