[Exim] STOP Auto-Notification NOW!! was: Where is fakereject…

Author: Greg Folkert
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] STOP Auto-Notification NOW!! was: Where is fakereject in 4.24?
--
On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 14:48, George Szekely wrote:
> Dear List:
>
> fakereject was the perfect solution for notifying a sender that .exe
> is not acceptable (any file must be zipped).
>
> It only sent back a custom 550 ... without the attachement.
>
> I wonder why it was taken out of the latest release.
>

>    #       warn  log_message = DISCARD: ATTACHMENT ($found_extension)
>    #                  demime = scr:pif:exe:com
>    #                 control = fakereject
>    #          discard demime = scr:pif:exe:com

Do yo not understand that this exactly doubles the amount of mail
associated with a piece of SPAM. (or W32Swen/Gibe@mm)...

This is getting ridiculous. I already have to manage 2000+ Spam-Mails a
day, NOW I get to receive a notification that the mail I sent (well
supposedly sent) from some unknown place was not acceptable... FINE. I
already know this. Best practice at this point is to just delete the
mail, especially if you have some type of bayes spam detector.

Please for the love of Mike... don't auto-notify spoofed addresses. I
know you mean no harm, but it does harm. Eats my bandwidth and yours.

--
greg, greg@???

Sir, you've broken your water.... may I get you a new glass?