[Exim] No sender in "Received from <>"

Author: Markus Fischer
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] No sender in "Received from <>"
    Hello,

    I've a bit problem understanding the following loglines from our
    system:

2003-09-25 09:35:46 Received from <> H=(XXXX.XXXXXXXX.XX) [XXX.XXX.XXX.XX] P=esmtp S=12213 id=E1A2R0W-0004Wl-00@???
2003-09-25 09:35:46 postler@??? R=local_user T=cyrus: Child process of cyrus transport returned 65 (could mean error in input data) from command: /usr/sbin/cyrdeliver
*** Frozen (delivery error message)

    What is catching my attention is the string

        Received from <>

    This line is empty. How can this happen?

    The problem is:
    Since local user postler is not available and since the sender is
    not available, too, the bounce messages are not sent back but to the
    local postmaster account.

    Where is the part between the <> taken from normally?

    If put up a non-mangled copy of the headers here:
    http://www.dillerpartner.at/~mfischer/tmp/1A2Qf9-0006t3-II-H.txt

    Ok, so thinking after writing and thinking again I searched the
    archives. The closest message I found is
    http://www.exim.org/mailman/htdig/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20020930/044200.html

    The suggested resolution is "Most probably you don't do
    sender/receiver verification in your ACLs, so a
    non deliverable bounce-message could be created."

    However, I don't know how such a verification would look like (and
    what impacts modifications would have on it). I've put up the
    acl_check_rcpt ACL (which is used for acl_smtp_rcpt) at
    http://www.dillerpartner.at/~mfischer/tmp/30_exim4-config_check_rcpt.txt

    I'm pretty sure I didn't touched it at all as the whole stuff is
    still new to me.

    thanks for any hints,

        - Markus