[Exim] SMTP AUTH

Author: Antony Gelberg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] SMTP AUTH
Hi all,

I'm running exim 3.35 on Debian woody.  I'm trying to set up SMTP AUTH with
the LOGIN method.  I see AUTH LOGIN as a
response to EHLO.  I have created /etc/exim/passwd with contents:
bob    Bob123

I converted the username and password to base64, for testing:
echo -n '\0bob\0Bob123'| mimencode
XDBib2JcMEJvYjEyMw==

This is what I get:
www:/etc/exim# exim -bh 127.0.0.1

**** SMTP testing session as if from host 127.0.0.1
**** Not for real!

>>> host in host_lookup? yes (*)
>>> looking up host name for 127.0.0.1
>>> IP address lookup yielded www
>>> Alias www.bob.com
>>> Alias localhost
>>> Alias localhost.localdomain
>>> host in host_reject? no (option unset)
>>> host in host_reject_recipients? no (option unset)
>>> host in auth_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in sender_unqualified_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in receiver_unqualified_hosts? no (option unset)
>>> host in helo_verify? no (option unset)
>>> host in helo_accept_junk_hosts? no (option unset)

220 www.bob.com ESMTP Exim 3.35 #1 Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:10:07 -0700
ehlo pulse
250-www.bob.com Hello www [127.0.0.1]
250-SIZE
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH LOGIN
250 HELP
auth login XDBib2JcMEJvYjEyMw==
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

>>> login authenticator:
>>> $1 = \0bob\0Bob123
>>> expanded string: 0

535 Incorrect authentication data
LOG: Authentication failed for www (bob) [127.0.0.1]: 535 Incorrect
authentication data
quit
221 www.bob.com closing connection

Any ideas? I've looked in the exim docs and have no idea where I'm going
wrong. I'm sure it's something easy but I'm stuck.

Antony

PS The FAQ link from the mailing list page doesn't work.