Re: [Exim] Does Dr. Hazel discuss this?

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Does Dr. Hazel discuss this?
Hi gbrotherton@???, on Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:12:15 US/Eastern you
wrote:

> Connecting remotely to the outgoing mail server. I'm sure this has been
> covered in the past, but I am unsure where to look for an answer.

There is a FAQ section on exim.org, and you can also search the archive of
this list there. They are both good places to start, alongside the
reference documentation and/or book of course.

> What do I need to do on the Exim
> server so that my users can set their outgoing mail server (SMTP) name
> to the Exim server's host name and use it for their outgoing mail
> delivery?

You need to configure SMTP authentication (SMTP AUTH). There is lots in
the manual about it and if you search the archives you will find lots on
this list about it.

Basically, you need to add a rule to your authenticator config. Most
likely, you'll need to support AUTH LOGIN as that's the method used by
most M$ clients.

You may also want to support CRAM-MD5 authentication and/or plaintext, for
other clients. Exim can support all these; it is all configured in the
"authenticators" section of the main Exim config file.

Bear in mind also that, for security, you may wish to seriously consider
requiring SSL connections for PLAIN/LOGIN authentication. To do this,
you'll need a few other Exim options - look out for SSL/TLS in the Exim
makefile and config file, and search also for "smtps" in the list
archives.

> I am getting set up to compile Exim 4.2 for the mail server and I want
> to make sure I compile with all the correct support for this function.

Look for the AUTH_* options in the Exim makefile, which also has fairly
verbose documentation. As mentioned above, check the compile-time SSL/TLS
options too.

Tim