RE: [Exim] how to accept a recipient address format that nor…

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: hauser
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] how to accept a recipient address format that normal smtp servers reject before accepting the body/attachments
At 19:31 +0200 2003/09/21, Ralf Hauser wrote:
>Giuliano,
>
>Thx for thinking with us and feel free to post the next follow-up to the
>list!
>
>I do want to tell my users to use my SMTPS server as their secondary server
>for secure messages (since I won't offer new mail addresses for them.)
>However, I will create special reply to addresses on the mail I send them
>(SMIME or PGP encrypted). I envision that those addresses (that will do a
>lookup in my server to figure out who was the real sender since I want to
>hide that) could also be used to have other smtps servers reject them to
>remind the user that they should use my server to get SMTPS+ service level
>(I will do more than just SMTPS on the upload and then plaintext between
>MTAs as most ISPs do) and prevent them at least in the non-relay case from
>sending their mail via an insecure SMTP.
>
>The problem seems to be that exim is very strict in adding a qualify_domain
>such that I think I'll have the reply-to containing a host as domain that is
>existent, but not running anything on port 25.

Ralf,

I do not understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish and how...
You say that your are not going to offer new email addresses to your
users, but still they are your users and you say that you want to
modify (I guess) the Reply to: address in the email they get from
your (pop/imap) server. This Reply to: will be undeliverable by other
normal SMTP servers so that they are forced to use yours (iff their
MTA uses the Reply to: address rather than Return-path: or From:, but
you could modify them all...).
Why don't you just add an inexistent top domain to the Reply to: address?
Suppose Reply to: is <xxx@???>, then you could modify it
appending, say, the string .aaa, as in <xxx@???> and then
have a rewrite rule in your exim configuration to get rid of .aaa in
the envelope and in the appropriate headers.

Only problem, if they stop using your services they will find
themselves with a mailbox (or address book) full of useless email
addresses!

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
    || |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/