[Exim] Re: Re: How to bypass last Received: server to apply …

Author: Patrick Starrenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Re: How to bypass last Received: server to apply block lists to previous server
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:16:29 GMT, Matthew Byng-Maddick
<exim@???> wrote:

> Don't be one (a clue-impaired corporate) then. You certainly sound
> clue-resistant from what you said in a previous message. You force a
> bounce to be generated, and you are acting in precisely the way that
> Alan is talking about.
>
> MBM

Matthew I have told you before publically, and privately, that you are a
rude and arrogant (...) but you seem to "listening"-resistant. Your
postings seem to be mostly trying to put people down rather than inject
any meaningful information or discussion - and if you don't believe me do
a search on MBM in the Exim list.

So... *plonk*

You should put your brain into gear before engaging your mouth - let me
spell it out for you...

1) we currently do all we can to reject garbage at SMTP time to minimise
what I would call email 'broadcast storms'caused by spam and viruses
2) this setup (courtesy of Exim/Exiscan) may be jepodised by parties
making decisions out of our control regarding our global incoming mail
gateway.
3) the bounces we are talking about vast majority would happen anyway
only difference is there is one extra server in the loop and we would be
putting the load and responsibility for delivery of those to the gateway
mail server - who (in an ideal world = Exim/Exiscan) should be stopping
them at SMTP communication time in the first place. When we (currently)
reject a mail at SMTP time, because (for example) it has an attachment
type we won't accept, the sending mail server still has to generate a
bounce to the end user. Even in the case of stupid viruses where innocent
third parties (who get their email addresses spoofed) get the bounces and
for which there is nothing we can do with current systems. What we *do*
do at present when we see a badly infected host is just manually drop
those messages (and bounces) - we will do the same.

Have a nice day, and have that beer I mentioned last time.

Patrick