Re: [Exim] SMTP after POP3

Author: Daniel Lawson
To: Georg Köstler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP after POP3
>I could not find any documentation in the spec, about how to realize this.
>I know there are better ways to relay users email, but due to firewall
>concerns, I need this to implement this mechanism. I guess the POP-Server
>needs to store the username,ip-address,timestamp somewhere and exim
>has to retrieve it from there to allow/disallow relay, or am I completely
>wrong?
>I just found section 35,36,36.. to do smtp-auth.
>
>Using debian/stable: courier-POP/IMAP end exim 3.x
>
>Any pointers would be appreciated very much.

I found one package which works fairly well - it scans your pop/imap
server's logs for connections and stores the ips in a file, which you
can include into exims 'host_accept_relay' parameter.

Its called exact, and can be found at
http://www.britishsteal.com/dist/exact/

See http://www.wlug.org.nz/POPbeforeSMTP for some notes on it.

If you are using Cyrus as your pop/imap server, it supports DRAC, but I
couldn't get exim to read drac's dbm without too much hacking so gave
up. YMMV.