Re: [Exim] Black lists

Author: Jez Hancock
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Black lists
On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 05:35:17PM +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> Jez Hancock wrote:
>
> >Care to share your favourite blacklists Tony?
> >
> >/me in lurk mode :)
> >
> >I'm currently using spamcop, had it in 'warn' mode only for a month or
> >so and it seemed fairly reliable with no false positives that I can
> >recall.
>
> <me-ever-a-sucker-cos-people-will-now-slaughter-me-but-who-cares?>
>
> I don't think SpamAssassin includes spamcop, since I've never noticed SA
> reporting on its findings and because I've only ever seen negative
> "reviews" (o.k., yours is the exception).

I recently took out the OSIRUSOFT checks SA did...

> This is from my SA 2.60 local.cf. Tests with a score of 0 are not run at
> all by SA. I've marked up my positive DNSrbls (notice I cut out the only
> single RHSrbl?) because I've never had wrong/FP/smtp 550 rejects from
> what I use. As soon as I do, I'll adjust. Note that Postfix 2.0.14
> using the new amavisd-new smtp proxy mechanism, (which is my MTA at the
> moment), sends notification of each smtp 550 rejection (sorry Philip,
> Marc) to postmaster. *This would be a good idea for Exim*, since it
> precedes any log report controls and is extremely valuable.
>
> SA "scores" are points. One has to add the points for all tests - SA
> Perl regexps (and my own regexps, for which Philip's pcretest is a
> godsend and of which I have around five score), SA Perl evals, Bayes and
> DNSbls - together to get an SA kill (=smtp 550) score. So one test would
> never be enough to refuse a message, if the points for a positive test
> result are less than the points for a kill.

<snip>
Ah so you don't use RBLs in Exim? That is one solution I suppose for
one of the other recent posts on the list by someone who was finding
performance degraded because they were using a large number of RBLs in a
dnslist in their Exim config - just use spamd for your RBL checking.

--
Jez

http://www.munk.nu/