Re: [Exim] connection refused

Author: Steve Lazaridis
To: Kevin W. Reed, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] connection refused
first of all.. thanks for any input ahead.. :-)

ok, here is more detail about my configuration..

the machine is more than a mail server.. but i kill all other processes..
and exim still uses up all resources..
is there another way to prevent soo many connections.. from all those hosts?
i've recently added the "acl_smtp_connect" and that seems to have gotten rid
of the connection refused messages.. but the server is still bogged down..
and we're talking about a server with 2.0ghz quad xeon with 1gig ram
the server also runs cpanel as it's frontend...

some stuff from my exim.conf

acl_smtp_rcpt = check_recipient
acl_smtp_data = check_message
acl_smtp_connect = check_connect

check_connect:
  deny    message       = rejected because $sender_host_address is \
                         in a black list at $dnslist_domain\n\
                         $dnslist_text
  dnslists  = blackholes.mail-abuse.org : relays.mail-abuse.org :
blacklist.tudelft.nl : \
     proxies.relays.monkeys.com : relays.ordb.org : flowgoaway.com :
*.cluecentral.net : \
     *.blackholes.us : *.nerd.dk : korea.services.net :vbl.mookystick.com :
\
     bl.spamcop.net : sbl.spamhaus.org

accept

check_recipient:
# Exim 3 had no checking on -bs messages, so for compatibility
# we accept if the source is local SMTP (i.e. not over TCP/IP).
# We do this by testing for an empty sending host field.
accept hosts = :

# rejects bogus email addresses.
deny local_parts = ^.*[@%!/|]

  # Accept bounces to lists even if callbacks or other checks would fail
  warn     message      = X-WhitelistedRCPT-nohdrfromcallback: Yes
           condition    = \
           ${if and {{match{$local_part}{(.*)-bounces\+.*}} \
                     {exists
{/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/${lc:$1}_${lc:$domain}/config.pck}
}} \
                {yes}{no}}

  accept   condition    = \
           ${if and {{match{$local_part}{(.*)-bounces\+.*}} \
                     {exists
{/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/${lc:$1}_${lc:$domain}/config.pck}
}} \
                {yes}{no}}

  warn     message      = X-WhitelistedRCPT-nohdrfromcallback: Yes
           condition    = \
           ${if and {{match{$local_part}{mailman-bounces\+.*}} \
                     {exists
{/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck}}} \
                {yes}{no}}

  accept   condition    = \
           ${if and {{match{$local_part}{mailman-bounces\+.*}} \
                     {exists
{/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck}}} \
                {yes}{no}}

require verify = sender

accept domains = +local_domains
accept domains = +relay_domains
accept hosts = +relay_hosts
accept condition = ${perl{checkrelayhost}{$sender_host_address}}

  accept  hosts = +auth_relay_hosts
          endpass
          message = $sender_fullhost is currently not permitted to \
                        relay through this server. Perhaps you \
                        have not logged into the pop/imap server in the \
                        last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication
turned on in your email client.
          authenticated = *

  deny    message = $sender_fullhost is currently not permitted to \
                        relay through this server. Perhaps you \
                        have not logged into the pop/imap server in the \
                        last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication
turned on in your email client.

#!!# ACL that is used after the DATA command
check_message:
require verify = header_sender
accept

> Steve Lazaridis said:
> > i keep getting error messages.. "connection refused: too many

connections"
> > meanwhile the server is totally bogged down.. by exim using all system
> > resources..
> >
> > I've added blacklist support.. and it rejects alot of stuff.. but i

still