Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Stop sending EICAR test strings

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Pat Lashley
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Stop sending EICAR test strings
On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 09:53, Pat Lashley wrote:
> However, that said, is there any particular reason why messages coming
> into the mailing list address aren't checked for viri before being sent
> back out? (Outgoing messages from the list shouldn't need to be scanned
> since they have, theoretically at least, already been scanned once on
> the way in. So the scanning overhead is based on the number of unique
> messages sent to the list, not to the size of the list membership.)

Two reasons:-
     1. I don't run virus checking on any of my boxes, because all the
        end users are configured in a virus avoiding fashion.  However I
        do kill messages with executable extentions.  [The EICAR problem
        is that it doesn't need to be in an attachment for most virus
        scanners to pick it up.]  I'm not keen on running finickity
        software that I don't have experience with on a box providing
        real service.  Previous reasons for not doing so were that there
        was no free AV software and no budget.
     2. exim.org is seriously overloaded.  Until it gets new hardware I
        am not putting additional services on to it.  Thats why
        SpamAssassin isn't in the mailing list chain either.

Having said that I added a regexp rule to the exiscan acls to kill EICAR
stuff.

    Nigel.