Re: [Exim] application bug - it's back!

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Neal D. Becker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] application bug - it's back!
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Neal D. Becker wrote:

> On RH9 Linux, I previously reported the dreaded "application bug" error
> message. Supposedly this was fixed in 4.14. Now I'm running 4.22, but the
> message seems to be back:
>
> Sep 11 11:49:33 rpppc1 kernel: application bug: exim(24615) has SIGCHLD set to
> SIG_IGN but calls wait().
> Sep 11 11:49:33 rpppc1 kernel: (see the NOTES section of 'man 2 wait').
> Workaround activated.

There was another report of this a couple of weeks back, but no follow
up. I do not think I have made any relevant changes to Exim after I
worked round the problem before. (I do not consider it to have been a
bug. It was a bit of belt-and-braces programming to be safe in
situations where signal delivery was dodgy.)

However, Exim does call other software, and it may be that something
else (e.g. a DBM library) is provoking this. Have you changed anything
else (such as a DBM library) between compiling 4.14 and 4.22?

On the other hand, there is always the possibility that I overlooked
something in Exim. If you can find a way of providing more context as to
exactly what provokes this message, I can double check.