Re: [Exim] is it possible to covert 8bit subjects to quoted-…

Author: Igor Karpov
To: exim-users
CC: Andreas Metzler
Subject: Re: [Exim] is it possible to covert 8bit subjects to quoted-printable automatically?
On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:07:13AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:55:15AM +0300, Igor Karpov wrote:
>
> >> You could use ${rfc2047:<string>} and headers_add/remove. But even if
> >> you did it would not help you, because there is no reliable way[1] to
> >> identify the used charset and ${rfc2047 only supports ISO-8859-1 so
> [...]
> >> [1] statistical analysis with databases of all natural langauages to
> >> check against might work ;-)
>
> > Looks like you may also try to use charset from Content-Type to
> > determine this. It's far from a clean solution,
>
> Ack.
>
> > but you may get rather good results,
> [...]
>
> Messages without properly encoded headers often don't include a
> MIME-declaration for the body, too.

Not obligatory. With Russian we often meet the situation when OE has
"Use 8-bit symbols in Subject field" switched on. The Content-Type
presents and it can be used to handle such letters correctly. As I
already said, it's far from to be perfect, but will cover a lot of such
situations. I hope one day M$ will hide this switch somewhere deeply in
its registry and things will change to better since this day :)

> And, as noted above: "${rfc2047 only supports ISO-8859-1" so Michael
> would need to use perl.

Or to write his own patch to exim to work with this.

Regards,
--
Igor A. Karpov    phone: +380(44)238-0624 JID:jc@???
Unix System Administrator

These opinions are my own, and not those of my alternate personalities.