Re: [Exim] exiscan ????

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exiscan ????
Hi Thomas, on Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:49:47 +0200 you wrote:

[for the second time]
> secondly, does anyone know where i can find exiscan for Redhat 8 running
> exim-4.20 ?

I'm assuming (as are other people, probably) that you're not just asking
for the address of the Exiscan website?

> ps, sorry for the double posting....the pif's are causing trouble and I
> need to block them :o(

Reposting a message within a day just because something is important to
*you* probably won't help you get an answer, but may well be considered
rude (which is almost certainly counterproductive). You might consider
instead some possible reasons why your first posting didn't get much of a
response:

a) it seems to me, rightly or wrongly, that many of the questions you ask
on here and other lists could be answered in just a few minutes by looking
at the manual or searching on Google, and/or have a distasteful emphasis
on "my problem is so important! I need this solved instantly!". Of course,
we all have to ask simple/trivial things now and then (we're all human,
and all have days when we can't see the wood for the trees) but if it
happens too often it tends to put people off replying. With the greatest
of respect, I think you'll have more success at receiving meaningful and
timely answers by following at least some of the suggestions in this
document:

b) "exiscan for Redhat 8 running exim-4.20" is a pretty meaningless term.
Exiscan is not a separate package; it is a patch for Exim. You are not
going to find an *exiscan* binary which you can somehow "drop into" Exim,
because it integrates too tightly for that.

c) the Exiscan site at http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan-acl/ has pretty much
everything you need to know about installing Exiscan

d) Odhiambo has already pointed you towards my site,
http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/exim.php which I've spent a lot of time
building, to try to help people out, and this has:

- a comprehensive PDF with some extra details on installing/configuring
Exiscan, in particular relating to how to do it on a Red Hat
installation using RPMs, which sounds like it's probably of use to you.

- an RPM spec file with associated startup scripts

If there is anything on there which you don't understand then I'll be more
than happy to explain.

e) there are, I understand, RPMs available on ftp.exim.org which have
exiscan included already.

With these resources combined, I believe you should have little trouble
installing and configuring Exiscan. However, if after reading them, you
still have problems, I suspect that if you post them here (in a succinct
way, with all relevant information) people will offer you help quickly.

Hope that helps.

Tim