Re: [Exim] DNS timeout?

Author: W M Brelsford
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] DNS timeout?
On Thu Sep 04 2003 at 06:56 PM -0400, Walt Reed wrote:
> Ugg. BTW, outgoing.verizon.net is a horrible mail relay. It's
> reliability is quite bad. It's not RFC compliant either - it won't pass
> null sender mail (bounce messages) and the Verizon postmaster refuses to
> fix it.
>
> Not that this solves your problem, but you will probably need to find a
> better mail relay at some point.

My first experience with verizon.net (the box uses Verizon DSL),
and I haven't been very impressed either.

On Fri Sep 05 2003 at 09:59 AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > Any suggestions on how to configure exim to prevent this? Can exim
> > be told to try DNS twice before deferring?
>
> dns_retrans and dns_retry

Oops .. missed those searching spec.txt.

> But it depends on exactly what your resolver does with these values.

Running Linux (RH9) -- resolv.h shows a default of 2 retries of
each (of 3) nameservers, 5-second timeout on each. Unlikely all
would fail (but could be a temporary routing problem preventing
access to any of them), and at any rate shouldn't have taken 90
seconds.

I'll fiddle with the resolver settings and keep monitoring it.

Thanks,

--
Bill Brelsford
k2di2@???