[Exim] DNS timeout?

Author: W M Brelsford
To: Exim Users
Subject: [Exim] DNS timeout?
Since installing exim on a new machine I've been getting occasional
host lookup failures, e.g.:

2003-09-03 15:01:58 19ufhO-0007CC-2V <= foo@??? U=joe P=local-esmtp S=3534
2003-09-03 15:03:36 19ufhO-0007CC-2V == bar@??? R=isps defer (-36): host lookup for outgoing.verizon.net did not complete (DNS timeout?)
2003-09-03 15:03:44 19ufhO-0007CC-2V => k2di2@??? R=isps T=auth_smtp H=outgoing.verizon.net [206.46.170.8]

It appears that something gets stuck in the first attempt to access
DNS; it then succeeds immediately on the next try and delivers to
the second address.

I'm using exim 4.22. Relevant portions (router and transport) of
configuration file:

    GATEway = outgoing.verizon.net

    isps:
      driver = manualroute
      domains = ! +local_domains
      route_list = * GATEway bydns
      transport = auth_smtp
      no_more

    auth_smtp:
      driver = smtp
      hosts_require_auth = GATEway
      connect_timeout = 30s

I use a similar configuration (but different DNS servers and mail
gateway) on my home machine and have never seen this problem, so
suspect the problem is with DSL or DNS, not exim.

Any suggestions on how to configure exim to prevent this? Can exim
be told to try DNS twice before deferring?

Thanks,

--
Bill Brelsford
k2di2@???