Re: [Exim] rejecting based on HELO

Top Pagina
Auteur: Exim Users Mailing List
Aan: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] rejecting based on HELO
[ On Thursday, September 4, 2003 at 08:32:00 (+0100), Giuliano Gavazzi wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] rejecting based on HELO
>
> in my opinion, as I wrote a long time ago, callbacks (and
> consequently bounces too) should not be subjected to any checks until
> the data phase (unless the number of recipients is larger than 1..).

What the heck are you talking about!?!?!?!?

How can you expect any random server to do anything _you_ want?

Forget it!

No server can possibly ever tell that your connection is intended only
to verify an address and nothing more until it is too late.

Nobody in their right mind is going to cater to the needs of "callbacks".

The right solution is to never ever use "callbacks" in the first place,
i.e. never ever try to use active SMTP connections to test sender
addresses. They have a very negative interaction with the whole SMTP
protocol. You MUST verify sender addresses out-of-band if you want SMTP
to work as it was designed to work. This is a very simple protocol
feedback problem -- callbacks are fundamentally broken from the get go.

At the very best no "callback" implementation should ever reject a
connection if it is itself rejected at the HELO phase.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>